Thursday, March 20, 2008

I'm back...

"Don't call it a comeback--I've been here for years,
Rockin' my peers, putting suckers in fear..." - LL Cool Jay

Ladies and gentlemen, I am back...in multiple meanings of the word...

First and probably more important, I'm back at home for the forseeable future--whoohoo! My travels are at a lull right now and I don't have any work trips planned until the end of April. That may change but for now, I'm enjoying the furlough.

I'm also "back" in the sense I'm blogging again. I was sick last week and part of this week (more on that in a second), so I didn't take time to write anything. If you read this blog, I'm sure you've gotten somewhat used to the intermittent nature of my posts. I wish I could post every day...but it's just not realistic. Oh well, I guess we all do the best we can...

Also, I'm "back" in the sense of running again. I took most of last week off--I had either the flu, or something like food poisioning. Not really bad, but bad enough that I had to skip some of the dinners/fun events at last week's work meetings. I was scheduled for a 20-mile run last week but that didn't happen...in fact, I only ran a lousy stinking 5 miles last week. But I guess my body needed the rest, so not much I could do about it...

I was listening to Confessions Of A Runner#9 last week, and Jodi talked about diversification. She talked about how it's not only important for your financial investments, but for your running. The idea is you start marathon training with a clear plan in mind, but have the sense to listen to your body and make adjustments and changes as you go.

When I started my training plan back in December I intended to run 100% of the miles in the plan--but over the past few weeks as life has intervened, I've just come to see that it wasn't realistic. I've completed probably 80% of the miles in the program, and I feel strong, fast, and confident. I guess that's enough, but time will tell.

I am officially in the taper period now, so I'm taking it easy--except for the Shamrock Shuffle next week, where I'm hoping to set another PR this year. Wish me luck...

2 comments:

Rick said...

Diversification, hmm, I guess I have inadvertantly fallen into that due to the leg issue I began having back in February. I, like you, had selected my marathon training plan back in November and began it in December with the intention of completing it to the full, if not over-achieving it. Funny how plans get changed. Diversification in listening to one's body is good. I haven't yet read your most recent post other than the teaser portion of it, but I hope it is not bad news. On to it...

jtj3 said...

Rick I'm a little like you, in that I fell into diversification not because of an injury but because of travel, life, etc. Last year I definitely didn't take the training seriously enough, but this year I did. Sounds like you are, too...taking it seriously, I mean. Good news on your long run...I'm headed over to your blog now to post my congrats!